Day 1: Arrival at Auckland
• Arrive at the Auckland International Airport.
• Collect your rental car for your self-drive tour.
• Head to the hotel and gear up for the exciting journey starting tomorrow!
Day 2: Auckland-Waitomo Caves-Rotorua
• Embark upon the journey of a lifetime after breakfast.
• En route to Rotorua, visit the Waitomo Glowworm Caves which are a series of cave complexes lit only by the glow of thousands of glowworms!
• Floating underneath the sky of these living lights is an eerie, yet surreal experience! The main caves in this area are Waitomo Glowworm Cave, Aranui Cave, Ruakuri Cave and Gardener’s Gut.
• Proceed to Rotorua where an authentic Maori meal awaits you. Revel in the atmosphere of feasting and entertainment as you soak in the traditional Maori culture!
Day 3: Rotorua
• After breakfast, head out for a visit to the Thermal Valley of New Zealand, Te Puia.
• See the world famous Pohutu geyser, a geothermal marvel in this valley of roaring geysers, steaming rivers and bubbling mudpools!
• Thence, proceed to Rainbow Springs where you see nature stories come to life! Enjoy a meet and greet with some New Zealand’s rare, indigenous species like the Kiwi and the Tuatara, feed the trout or walk through the free-flight aviary.
• Also included here is a visit to the famous Agrodome Sheep Show.
Day 4: Rotorua-Queenstown
• Drop off your car at the Rotorua airport and catch your flight to Queenstown.
• On arrival, collect your rental car and drive up to the hotel.
• The rest of the day is for leisure.
Day 5: Queenstown
• Today is all yours to plan for.
• Queenstown has various activities like bungee jumping, lake and gondola rides, horse riding activities, jet skiing and many more for the adventure buffs.
• If you want to head out for a fun night out, check out the Sky Alpine Casino, one of New Zealand’s finest casinos in Queenstown.
Day 6: Queenstown: Milford Sound Cruise
• Wake up at the crack of dawn (just this once) and follow Lake Wakatipu via Kingston, arriving at Te Anau.
• Here onwards begins the Fiordland National Park. Home to the red and silver beeches and abundant in diverse fauna, this natural sanctuary is especially famous for its native avian species like the Takahe, Yellow-Crowned Parakeets and Southern Crested Grebes.
• Wind your way through these majestic mountains to the main destination, Milford Sound.
• One of the world’s most famous fiords, Milford Sound is truly spectacular. Running over 15 kilometers inland, the fiord has magnificent vistas all around.
• The gargantuan Mitre-Peak rises 1692 metres above the sound and is a magnet for photographers.
Day 7: Queenstown-Franz Joseph
• Travel to Wanaka via Lake Dunstan and also visit the Kawarau Gorge on the way.
• Head on to the Haast Pass in the Southern Alps along Lake Hawea. Rest stop for a while at Makarora, before you venture into the mountains.
• Pause at Knights Point to view some magnificent seascapes.
• Drive onward past Lakes Moearaki and Paringa and Bruce Bay, until you reach the Glaciers region.
Day 8: Franz Joseph-Christchurch
• Head on for Christchurch after breakfast.
• Travel via Arthur’s Pass en route.
Day 9: Christchurch
• Today is for you to explore Christchurch, the garden city of New Zealand, as per your convenience.
• Drop-in on some of the must-see places here like the Christchurch Botanic Gardens, the Trans-Alpine Train, the Canterbury Museum and Hagley Park.
Day 10: Departure from Christchurch
• Self-drive passengers drop off your car at the airport.
• Have a safe journey back home!